Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
OBESITY, DIET, EXERCISE (Read 18736 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
OBESITY, DIET, EXERCISE
Nov 28th, 2006 at 2:54pm

New Scientist magazine recent ran an article on causes of obesity other than the well known 'calories in vs calories burned' part. Some of the interesting causes include lack of sleep, climate control, drugs, (not) smoking and pollution. Most of the other issues were related to selective pressure and the condition mothers are in when they give birth.

One cause they left out is the changing nature of our food. This is not just that we are eating more highly processed foods. Our fresh food is also different. Fertilisers, chemicals and breeding programs have allowed rapid increases in the size of fruits and vegetables. However, a lot of this increase is in the form of extra water and sugar - not necessarily nutritional value. Our bodies sense the need for more nutrients and make us eat more. Of course, the same argument applies to processed foods, and is probably a stronger effect there.

The New Scientist article:

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/health/mg19225760.900-the-10-roads-to-fatsville.html

The 10 roads to Fatsville
03 November 2006

Ask anyone why there is an obesity epidemic and they will tell you that it's all down to eating too much and burning too few calories. That is undoubtedly true - you cannot get round the first law of thermodynamics. It's also true that we live in an "obesogenic environment": calorific food is plentiful and cheap and our lifestyles are increasingly sedentary. Most of us have to make an effort not to get fat.

That explanation appeals to common sense and has dominated efforts to get to the root of the obesity epidemic and reverse it. Yet obesity researchers are increasingly dissatisfied with it.

Earlier this year a review paper by 20 obesity experts set out the 10 most plausible alternative explanations for the epidemic (International Journal of Obesity, DOI: 10.1038/sj.ijo.0803326).
« Last Edit: Dec 25th, 2007 at 5:21pm by ozadmin »  

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: 10 more causes of obesity
Reply #1 - Dec 3rd, 2006 at 4:40pm

WA is banning fatty foods like soft drinks, pastries and deep fried foods from state schools. They are also going to force students to participate in at least two hours of physical activity at school per week.

IP Logged

uno

ozpolitic.com

Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2006 at 1:26pm

Quitting smoking may also be a cause.  I've gained about 10 - maybe more - since last year at this time. 

IP Logged

uno

ozpolitic.com

Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2006 at 1:38pm

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Dec 6th, 2006 at 1:43pm

10 what?

IP Logged

Kalliste

ozpolitic.com

Reply #5 - Dec 6th, 2006 at 1:53pm

Pounds, I think.  Thankfully, not 10 kilo's, or that would really be a problem...

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #6 - Dec 6th, 2006 at 6:53pm

According to another recent study based on a controlled test, if you eat slowly you will consume less, enjoy your food more and feel fuller an hour later.

IP Logged

Jolanda Challita(Guest)

Reply #7 - Dec 8th, 2006 at 10:18pm

I believe that there is too much focus on 'obesity' and it takes the focus off 'food' when it should be on. 

If every person was encouraged to focus on choosing food that is beneficial to them and if people better understood how important it is to provide the right fuel for the body so that there is good health and wellbeing, then maybe we might start seeing change as we would have a smarter/healthier attitude in people and that would automatically mean less sickness and all its associated problems.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
US study links suburban sprawl to weight
Reply #8 - Dec 19th, 2006 at 2:25pm

http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/US-study-links-suburban-sprawl-to-weight/2006/12/19/1166290520170.html

US children who live in expansive suburbs may start to pay for it with expansive waistlines, new research suggests.

Using data from a national health survey, researchers found that teenagers living in sprawling suburbs were more than twice as likely to be overweight as teens in more compact urban areas.

The findings echo those of a 2003 study by the same researchers that focused on US adults. The researchers believe the same factors may be driving the link between suburban living and teenagers' weight - the major one being reliance on cars.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
US approves weight-loss drug for dogs
Reply #9 - Jan 6th, 2007 at 4:29pm

What is wrong with these people? They should be charged for mistreating their animals!

http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/US-approves-weightloss-drug-for-dogs/2007/01/06/1167777309663.html

US health officials have approved the first prescription weight-loss drug aimed at treating Americans' increasingly plump pooches, the Food and Drug Administration said.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #10 - Jan 6th, 2007 at 6:43pm

Experts believe that trans fatty acid is the cause of our obesity.  Denmark has already banned it - and we should really follow.

[[Unlike other fats, trans fats are neither required nor beneficial for health. Eating trans fat increases the risk of coronary heart disease. For these reasons, health authorities worldwide recommend that consumption of trans fat be reduced to trace amounts. Trans fats from partially hydrogenated oils are generally considered to be more of a health risk than those occurring naturally.]]

These are the fats used in takeaway foods and biscuits and breads that are shiny, but apparently this is where a big part of the problem lies.

As far as Americans giving their dogs diet pills - this is ridiculous.  Maybe they should just take the poor animals for more walks - it will help them as well.

IP Logged

enviro

Taking Out The Trash

Weethalle NSW
Japanese lead.....
Reply #11 - Jan 7th, 2007 at 10:36am

I think we should take a look at how the Japanese fight this problem within their schools.

We all know that conditioning needs to be done at school level.

Robinson, T. N. (1999) Reducing children's television viewing to prevent obesity. The Journal of the American Medical Association, 282, 1561–1567

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/282/16/1561?ijkey=30f3ea3d9ac4b736...

These findings and suggestions indicate that when discussing the health, physical fitness and athletic ability of children, comprehensive consideration of lifestyle, including the effect of the media, must be taken into account. Among these factors, discussion of the amount of physical activity is indispensable.

http://heapro.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/17/2/147

Not many obese asians. Pasta and Potatoe eaters tend to put weight on quicker because they don't burn the starch intake off.

Beef Eaters need to look at times they eat red meat. Never eat it after 3:00pm is a general rule. This gives it enough time to break down before going to bed.

We live in a faster society today so fast food is part of our culture. I could never work out why no one came up with the idea to have fresh food dive thru's. Salad Sandwiches etc. When I'm on the road and in a hurry Macka's get the better of me. Grin

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Aussies scale new heights in obesity
Reply #12 - Feb 23rd, 2007 at 11:06am

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/aussies-scale-new-heights-in-obesity/2007/02/22/1171733955297.html

WE MAY have produced such fine athletic specimens as Cathy Freeman, Ian Thorpe and Brett Lee, but it seems Australia has also produced a nation of fatties.

The dubious honour has been handed down by the Forbes organisation, which released its list of the fattest countries based on body mass index, a measure of weight relative to height.

Australia weighed in at 21st, with almost 70 per cent of the population considered overweight or obese, based on recent estimates from the World Health Organisation.

Of the top 10 countries on the list, eight were from the South Pacific, with Nauru tipping the scales in first position with 94 per cent of its adult population overweight.

The US was ninth with 74 per cent overweight and Britain was 28th with almost 64 per cent of its population overweight.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Health gap widens between rich and poor
Reply #13 - Mar 13th, 2007 at 10:33am

http://www.smh.com.au/news/breaking-news/health-gap-widens-between-rich-and-poor/2007/03/12/1173548099572.html

The health gap between rich and poor Australians is growing wider as the most impoverished embrace bad health habits with increasing vigour, a report has found.

The new analysis of health trends warns that the distance will only grow unless more healthy living programs are directed at those in need.

The University of Queensland report, published by the World Health Organisation (WHO), analysed data from the last three National Health Surveys in 1989, 1995 and 2001.

It found that bad health habits such as smoking, lack of exercise and obesity were increasing for the poor.

Men living in the poorest suburbs were about twice as likely to smoke than men from wealthier areas.

"There is a real need to learn more about the social and physical barriers which limit higher levels of physical activity by the most socio-economically disadvantaged," the authors wrote in Bulletin, the WHO's international journal of public health.

IP Logged

Aussie Nationalist
Ex Member

Re: Aussies scale new heights in obesity
Reply #14 - Mar 13th, 2007 at 8:41pm

Quote:
WE MAY have produced such fine athletic specimens as Cathy Freeman, Ian Thorpe and Brett Lee, but it seems Australia has also produced a nation of fatties.

Its the youth of today who are the main fat ones.
Some Causes are tv, computer games, fast food, parents driving kids to and from school. etc.

Total anti-marxist and anti-left wing. The Right is Right.&&&&&&

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print