IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Welcome
Reply #751 - Aug 15th, 2017 at 3:29pm

Agnes wrote on Aug 15th, 2017 at 3:08pm:
Hi Learjet - welcome

Did you welcome Margie and Myrtle when they registered a Members too, Agmess?

Cool

IP Logged

LearJet

Australian Politics

Reply #752 - Aug 15th, 2017 at 6:02pm

Hi Learjet - welcome

Thank You, and all the best to you too! Smiley

What does "it" mean in the sentence,  "What time is it?"?

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #753 - Aug 15th, 2017 at 6:12pm

LearJet wrote on Aug 15th, 2017 at 6:02pm:
Hi Learjet - welcome

Yes, welcome LearJet.

May you fly high  Smiley

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

LearJet

Australian Politics

Reply #754 - Aug 15th, 2017 at 6:20pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Aug 15th, 2017 at 6:12pm:
LearJet wrote on Aug 15th, 2017 at 6:02pm:
Hi Learjet - welcome

Yes, welcome LearJet.

May you fly high  Smiley

The only herbs I've been using lately is oregano and basil in my homemade pasta sauce  Cheesy

But fly high I surely will, thanks

All the best to you Sprint  Cool

What does "it" mean in the sentence,  "What time is it?"?

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #755 - Aug 15th, 2017 at 6:35pm

Hi all.
Im a noone from Qld. I dont lean left or right. I just like it to be fair.
I think all pollies are sending this country and the world to the thunderbox.

Thought id join as there seems to be some good discussions here.
See how we go.

Cheers.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #756 - Aug 15th, 2017 at 6:45pm

Captain Caveman wrote on Aug 15th, 2017 at 6:35pm:
Hi all.
Im a noone from Qld. I dont lean left or right. I just like it to be fair.
I think all pollies are sending this country and the world to the thunderbox.

Thought id join as there seems to be some good discussions here.
See how we go.

Cheers.

Welcome Captain.

All Aboard.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

ben bowyang

Australian Politics

Reply #757 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 6:49pm

G'day, all.
Been looking in here for a while so thought i'd sign up.
There seems to be a good cross section of people posting here, some weirder than others so I hope to fit in.
Looks like there are all sorts of do-hickeys to play with so might have a play around with them.
The email I got says that I cant do some things until i've been here for a while so I might sit back and watch for a bit longer.
I hate to admit it but i have formed an opinion about some posters but I will try to not let that influence me....well not too much.
Smiley
Ben.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #758 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 6:51pm

welcome ben, Cavman and Learjet
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2017 at 7:57pm by John Smith »  

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #759 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 6:51pm

ben bowyang wrote on Aug 19th, 2017 at 6:49pm:
G'day, all.
Been looking in here for a while so thought i'd sign up.
There seems to be a good cross section of people posting here, some weirder than others so I hope to fit in.
Looks like there are all sorts of do-hickeys to play with so might have a play around with them.
The email I got says that I cant do some things until i've been here for a while so I might sit back and watch for a bit longer.
I hate to admit it but i have formed an opinion about some posters but I will try to not let that influence me....well not too much.
Smiley
Ben.

Gday Ben.

IBI

IP Logged

Blue Jay

Australian Politics

Reply #760 - Aug 27th, 2017 at 4:02pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm putting a toe in the water (so to speak).  I've been indirectly involved in US politics for the last several months and decided to focus on Australia.

Is anyone able to point me to some tips on navigating the site?  For example, i'm interested in and horrified by 18c and Free Speech and its concerning vagueries (even if they haven't been used ... yet).  I can perform a keyword search, but are there tips and tricks people use to cut through the noise?  I'm less political party oriented and more policy oriented.  The site didn't seem geared for policy focus.

If there was something that you learned that made your life much easier when dealing in this forum, what was it?

I'm also curious to know how sensitive (or biased) this forum is.  I have no intention of flaming or personally attacking (I read the rules and it's not my style), but, my views aren't always popular (eg. free speech is often labelled as right-wing extremist).  My initial impression from reading a dozen threads is that people dance around topics as if they (a) don't know what to say, or (b) are worried about speaking their mind.  I was relieved to see one poster who delcared they were an islamo-phobe.  Not because I agree with the view, but, because it showed a willingness to put unpopular (non politically correct) opinions on the table.  Are there any general topics that are taboo or shunned that aren't covered by the forum rules?  At one time, I was permenantly banned from a site for posting a link from the Sydney Morning Herald because it contradicted something a moderator said (first and last warning).  I'm not sure how you better your understanding if people can't speak openly, honestly and politely.

I'm also interested to hear of any public figures you respect and follow.  For example, I have found Dave Rubin and any of his guests to be very interesting to listen to.  Is there anyone in Australia that you recommend that is worth paying attention to?  If you do list a name, can you please provide a brief description too.

I apologise if this is not the best place to post or if i've covered too many topics in one post.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #761 - Aug 27th, 2017 at 4:44pm

Blue Jay wrote on Aug 27th, 2017 at 4:02pm:
Hi Everyone,

I'm putting a toe in the water (so to speak).  I've been indirectly involved in US politics for the last several months and decided to focus on Australia.

Is anyone able to point me to some tips on navigating the site?  For example, i'm interested in and horrified by 18c and Free Speech and its concerning vagueries (even if they haven't been used ... yet).  I can perform a keyword search, but are there tips and tricks people use to cut through the noise?  I'm less political party oriented and more policy oriented.  The site didn't seem geared for policy focus.

If there was something that you learned that made your life much easier when dealing in this forum, what was it?

I'm also curious to know how sensitive (or biased) this forum is.  I have no intention of flaming or personally attacking (I read the rules and it's not my style), but, my views aren't always popular (eg. free speech is often labelled as right-wing extremist).  My initial impression from reading a dozen threads is that people dance around topics as if they (a) don't know what to say, or (b) are worried about speaking their mind.  I was relieved to see one poster who delcared they were an islamo-phobe.  Not because I agree with the view, but, because it showed a willingness to put unpopular (non politically correct) opinions on the table.  Are there any general topics that are taboo or shunned that aren't covered by the forum rules?  At one time, I was permenantly banned from a site for posting a link from the Sydney Morning Herald because it contradicted something a moderator said (first and last warning).  I'm not sure how you better your understanding if people can't speak openly, honestly and politely.

I'm also interested to hear of any public figures you respect and follow.  For example, I have found Dave Rubin and any of his guests to be very interesting to listen to.  Is there anyone in Australia that you recommend that is worth paying attention to?  If you do list a name, can you please provide a brief description too.

I apologise if this is not the best place to post or if i've covered too many topics in one post.

Welcome BJ.

Search function on this site is about as useful as tits on a bull. You're better off using google.

If you want to function on this site don't take anything to heart. Be prepared to give as well as you take.

If you're going to post in feedback, you need to be aware that half the forum is banned from there and can't reply. Apparently when FD (head honcho and the one most likely to misrepresent what you say) asks for feedback he means 'technical issues'. Giving him feedback on the forums day to day running will probably see you banned from feedback

No topic is off limits and neither is the forum politically correct (despite what the rules say), unless you attack Jews, then some mods have been known to sulk. Just don't expect to not be called on anything controversial you say.

As for 18C, you've nothing to be horrified about. It won't hurt you.

Public personalities, you should look up the person most likely to be Australia's first President Waleed Aly (that'll get the Islamaphobes going  Cheesy Cheesy).

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Blue Jay

Australian Politics

Reply #762 - Aug 27th, 2017 at 5:57pm

John Smith wrote on Aug 27th, 2017 at 4:44pm:
Blue Jay wrote on Aug 27th, 2017 at 4:02pm:
Hi Everyone,

Welcome BJ.

Search function on this site is about as useful as tits on a bull. You're better off using google.

If you want to function on this site don't take anything to heart. Be prepared to give as well as you take.

If you're going to post in feedback, you need to be aware that half the forum is banned from there and can't reply. Apparently when FD (head honcho and the one most likely to misrepresent what you say) asks for feedback he means 'technical issues'. Giving him feedback on the forums day to day running will probably see you banned from feedback

No topic is off limits and neither is the forum politically correct (despite what the rules say), unless you attack Jews, then some mods have been known to sulk. Just don't expect to not be called on anything controversial you say.

As for 18C, you've nothing to be horrified about. It won't hurt you.

Public personalities, you should look up the person most likely to be Australia's first President Waleed Aly (that'll get the Islamaphobes going  Cheesy Cheesy).

Thanks for the response John.

LOL.  I was thinking of Waleed Aly when I talked about politically correct and not willing to speak his mind.  I much prefer Rita Panahai, a journalist from Melbourne, who defended Pauline Hanson's right to talk when the media attacked her.  Rita's argument was that you can't criticise bad ideas if they're never spoken Smiley

On free speech, there is plenty to worry about!  Best discussed with elsewhere.  I read the ALRC site which made me worry even more Smiley

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #763 - Aug 27th, 2017 at 6:27pm

Shy little possum aren't you.  It's as though OzPol was a comfortable pair of old slippers you re-discovered.
« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2017 at 7:06pm by Aussie »  

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #764 - Aug 27th, 2017 at 6:33pm

Aussie wrote on Aug 27th, 2017 at 6:27pm:
Shy little possum aren't you.  Its as though OzPol was an old comfortable pair of slippers you re-discovered.

As comfortable as a beaded seat cover.

IBI

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 ... 82
Send Topic Print