Australian Politics Forum
http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl
Member Run Boards >> Environment >> Grassroots: going organic, acting locally
http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1279009335

Message started by Thy.Equitist on Jul 13th, 2010 at 6:22pm

Title: Grassroots: going organic, acting locally
Post by Thy.Equitist on Jul 13th, 2010 at 6:22pm

Discuss.

Title: Re: Grassroots: going organic, acting locally
Post by Thy.Equitist on Jul 13th, 2010 at 6:46pm

OK, I confess: this thread was an excuse to make a post about one of my favourite organic garden/household suppliers...

I've just received, via snail mail, the latest copy of Green Harvest's Australian Organic Gardening Resource Guide....

For anyone who's interested, here's a link to their web-site: -

http://www.greenharvest.com.au/





Disclaimer: I am purely a long-term satisfied customer - I do not have any vested or other interest in promoting the business and I don't even know the proprietors.


Title: Re: Grassroots: going organic, acting locally
Post by muso on Jul 16th, 2010 at 2:32pm
Yeah it's a nice hobby. Personally I prefer the taste of genetically modified  food that's grown with lots of pesticides and herbicides to keep away all these nasty crawling things and bugs that make me ill.  :P

I also prefer Tuna that's not dolphin safe. It's cheaper and probably caught by the same fishing boats anyway. :P

I loved Phillip Adams' recent comment. Paraphrased - "Personally I'd prefer to feed cats to fish than the other way round"

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/latenightlive/stories/2010/2942498.htm

Title: Re: Grassroots: going organic, acting locally
Post by Thy.Equitist on Jul 19th, 2010 at 12:44pm


muso wrote on Jul 16th, 2010 at 2:32pm:
Yeah it's a nice hobby. Personally I prefer the taste of genetically modified  food that's grown with lots of pesticides and herbicides to keep away all these nasty crawling things and bugs that make me ill.  :P

I also prefer Tuna that's not dolphin safe. It's cheaper and probably caught by the same fishing boats anyway. :P

I loved Phillip Adams' recent comment. Paraphrased - "Personally I'd prefer to feed cats to fish than the other way round"

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/latenightlive/stories/2010/2942498.htm


I missed this the other day - ROFPMSL now  ::)

Title: Re: Grassroots: going organic, acting locally
Post by Thy.Equitist on Jul 19th, 2010 at 12:53pm

Meantime, back at the post office...I received another package...

This time, it was from another trusty mail order supplier Eden Seeds/Select Organic (dual supplier publication): -



http://www.edenseeds.com.au/content/default.asp

http://www.selectorganic.com.au/content/default.asp




Disclaimer: I do not have any relationship or association with either entity - other than merely being a long-term satisfied customer.

Title: Re: Grassroots: going organic, acting locally
Post by sprintcyclist on Jul 19th, 2010 at 1:00pm

that "edenseeds" site. It's gardeners porn.
i put in 5 grevilleas, 2 callestimons and a paperbark yesterday.

Will get some cow poo for the vege garden out the front soon, might ring up my local tree lopper again, see if he will drop off another  load of mulch for me.

new idea i saw/did lately.
With my wooden fence, screwed some rails up onto it to train tomatoes , passionfuit and beans up.
could even espailer fruiting shrubs/trees along it.

Title: Re: Grassroots: going organic, acting locally
Post by locutius on Jul 19th, 2010 at 3:45pm

muso wrote on Jul 16th, 2010 at 2:32pm:
Yeah it's a nice hobby. Personally I prefer the taste of genetically modified  food that's grown with lots of pesticides and herbicides to keep away all these nasty crawling things and bugs that make me ill.  :P

I also prefer Tuna that's not dolphin safe. It's cheaper and probably caught by the same fishing boats anyway. :P

I loved Phillip Adams' recent comment. Paraphrased - "Personally I'd prefer to feed cats to fish than the other way round"

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/latenightlive/stories/2010/2942498.htm


I am constantly appalled at the enormous resourses that are required to stock the shelves of the petfood isles. Absolutely bloody shameful.




Title: Re: Grassroots: going organic, acting locally
Post by locutius on Jul 19th, 2010 at 3:56pm
One of my favourite shows years ago...
The_Good_Life__BBC.jpg (18 KB | 62 )

Title: Re: Grassroots: going organic, acting locally
Post by Imperium on Jul 19th, 2010 at 4:25pm

Quote:
I am constantly appalled at the enormous resourses that are required to stock the shelves of the petfood isles. Absolutely bloody shameful.


I'm not appalled by it or consider it shameful or anything, but I do think it's a waste of resources. Pets should be a lot rarer than they actually are. That's the thing; while declining fertility rates are seen as a sign we're becoming more environmentally conscious, the money that ordinarlly would have been used to raise human children is now being used on pets, cosmetic surgery and overseas travel.

Title: Re: Grassroots: going organic, acting locally
Post by gizmo_2655 on Jul 19th, 2010 at 7:52pm
I've always had a problem with 'Organic Food'....

It doesn't make any sense to me, as to why food that doesn't require expensive pesticides and fertilizers should cost TWICE what the food that uses pesticides and fertilizers......

I mean, what's that about.....Organic farmers DON'T spend $100.00 a year on chemicals....but charge 2 or 3 times as much as the farmers who DO???

Is it just a case of 'people are prepared to pay more for chemical free' or what????

Title: Re: Grassroots: going organic, acting locally
Post by Imperium on Jul 19th, 2010 at 11:20pm
It isn't chemical free. Organic crops use pesticides and herbicides like conventional crops do; so called 'organic' pesticides that aren't synthesized from petrochemicals. They're much less effective than synthetic pesticides so they have to be applied to crops in much larger amounts (and they're not exactly good for you either). Organic crop yields are usually much smaller and more labour intensive, hence the higher costs. High demand likely puts a premium on them also, as you pointed out.

Title: Re: Grassroots: going organic, acting locally
Post by Thy.Equitist on Jul 19th, 2010 at 11:33pm


Sprintcyclist wrote on Jul 19th, 2010 at 1:00pm:
that "edenseeds" site. It's gardeners porn.
i put in 5 grevilleas, 2 callestimons and a paperbark yesterday.

Will get some cow poo for the vege garden out the front soon, might ring up my local tree lopper again, see if he will drop off another  load of mulch for me.

new idea i saw/did lately.
With my wooden fence, screwed some rails up onto it to train tomatoes , passionfuit and beans up.
could even espailer fruiting shrubs/trees along it.


LOL...'gardeners porn'  ::)

I like your gardening style, SC - mine is similarly random...

I managed to upset the local mailman when I co-opted the nature strip a couple of years to grow bush tucker. I've had mixed success out there - being on Western-facing dry, stony and hydrophobic coastal soil - but my Warrigal Greens (Tetragonia tetragonoides, AKA New Zealand Spinach) are flourishing right now, to make an excellent living mulch...

Title: Re: Grassroots: going organic, acting locally
Post by sprintcyclist on Jul 20th, 2010 at 8:32am

well done thy, the front verge is the best place for fruit and veges.
Imagine a suburb where ever street has rows of fruit trees and veges growing wild.

My fruit vege garden is out the front. It's great, best place for one.
I have invited the local kids to take whatever passionfruit they want from the front of our place.
When the beans and tomatoes come ready, I'll offer the same inviatation.

They wave to me when I drive home and come over for a chat.


Title: Re: Grassroots: going organic, acting locally
Post by muso on Jul 20th, 2010 at 9:21am

locutius wrote on Jul 19th, 2010 at 3:56pm:
One of my favourite shows years ago...



Yes, it was a great show. I remember that Felicity Kendal fueled my adolescent fantasies too :)

I just planted a herb garden yesterday. Lots of Sweet Basil, Purple basil, Sage, Italian Parsley (The only parsley worth growing) and I already have Oregano as a ground cover.  

Title: Re: Grassroots: going organic, acting locally
Post by locutius on Sep 14th, 2010 at 4:19pm
Muso what about Corriander...I remember you saying how much you loved the stuff.

Title: Re: Grassroots: going organic, acting locally
Post by muso on Sep 24th, 2010 at 10:08am

locutius wrote on Sep 14th, 2010 at 4:19pm:
Muso what about Corriander...I remember you saying how much you loved the stuff.


I did actually plant some coriander 2 weeks ago. I bought some at a Chinese market and stuck them in the ground. The soil had been shaken from the roots, but they still grew when I cut off most of the leaves.  Coriander seeds are worth harvesting and drying, unlike the leaves which have the taste of Hades. I use them for curries and also apfel strudel, along with cinnamon.

(The sprig of coriander is just in front of the chives in this corner of my potager)

On the subject of cinnamon, I try to get Vietnamese Cinnamon sticks from the Asian shop. They have a stronger flavour than the supermarket variety. They are also great in curries. Just remember to take the stick out before you serve it up or you might end up with a dentist's bill.

Anybody interested in starting an organic foods recipe thread?  

Australian Politics Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2026. All Rights Reserved.